Thursday, March 28, 2019

Spam Fried Rice

For Valentine's Day this year, we went out to eat at Kobe Teppenyaki in Ogden. Teppenyaki places are really fun, and this time we had an especially fun chef, so it made it even better! So since I new we were going to be eating a big meal, I didn't eat much throughout the day. Anybody else do this? Look forward to your dinner all day long? Well that's totally me! So anyway, I was starving by the time we got there and the first thing that was finished was the fried rice. I dug into that little bowl of rice so fast, and I realized how overrated fried rice can be! It was delicious!

So then, of course, I had to make it at home and make it even better :)

I decided there are a few things that are very important to making a great pan of fried rice. First, use butter instead of oil. That's what they used at the teppenyaki restaurant and it's because its tastes way better! The next is to use lots of vegetables. I used onion, peas, and carrots, but you can add other favorites! Some other flavor boosters I add in are toasted sesame oil and oyster sauce. I hadn't used oyster sauce before, but I used a very small amount when coming up with this recipe and it seriously adds so much! It doesn't taste like oysters, I promise! It's just a nice subtle flavor that brings everything together. And last, I like to add SPAM! It adds such a nice salty flavor which really completes the dish.



Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 can of Spam, diced
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup peas
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 4 cups cooked and then chilled rice
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon butter until melted and sizzling, but not brown. Add eggs over the butter and stir, scrambling the eggs. When cooked through, remove egg from pan and set aside.
  2. Add the rest of the butter to the pan and heat over medium heat until sizzling again. Add in the spam, carrots, peas, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
  3. Add in the rice, green onions, oyster sauce, and soy sauce stir for 2-3 minutes to heat/fry the rice and mix the sauces together. 
  4. Add in the eggs and combine.
  5. Remove from heat. Add in toasted sesame oil and stir. Serve and enjoy!
Try out this recipe with my Orange chicken!





No comments:

Post a Comment