Tuesday, July 23, 2019

LBJ’s Champion Chocolate Chip Cookie

My little brother got married! Yay! He got married in Texas in June, and then last night we had the Utah Reception. If you know my mom, then you know that she knows how to put on a party! It was so beautiful and we are so grateful for all the wonderful friends and family members that helped to put on such a beautiful event.

My main assignment was the “favors.” The bride and groom had their first date at a cookie place, and they asked that cookies be served at the reception in some way. So they became the favor! I worked on my cookie recipe for a few months and, guys, this is it. The end-all be-all, best ever, champion chocolate chip cookie!!





As I was testing and developing this recipe I was continually frustrated with the consistency of the dough. I read through other blogs of people that referred to themselves as a “cookie master” or “cookie queen,” I tried their recipes, and they all flopped!! Then I finally figured out my main issue: I’m baking in Utah. High altitude. Baking at high altitude IS different, and that’s what’s helped me come up with this recipe.

The next trick was finding the perfect chocolate chip. So I’m a huge fan of Crumbl, Chip, and basically all the trendy cookie places that have grown popular. But I take issue with the milk chocolate chip. I think that the sweetness of the cookie needs to be balanced with a semi-sweet chocolate chip rather than milk chocolate. If milk chocolate is your thing, then go for it. (It just won’t be as good ;)) What I DO like about Crumbl and Chip’s milk chocolate chip cookie is that the chocolate chips are so big! I’ve found that the larger chip makes a much prettier cookie when it is baked. The trouble is: a large semi-sweet chip is hard to find. But we found a huge bag of Guittard large semi-sweets at Orson Gygi! I have now been converted to Guittard over the regular big Costco bag of Nestle chips that I’ve been buying all along. It was pretty surprising how much better the Guittard cookie was over the Nestle. And I had other people help taste all of the cookies and they agreed!! So now you know I try not force my opinions on you, because other people helped me!

And finally, in regard to the appearance of the cookie, I have two more tips. 1: a convection oven is key. The convection cookies were waaaay prettier. But I don’t have a convection oven, so I used my aunt’s house. And that won’t always be convenient so luckily the cookies in the regular oven tasted just as good, just weren’t quite so beautiful. The picture above shows convection cookies. And 2: the dough should be chilled. If you hate chilling your cookie dough and can’t stand to wait, then skip it. This is mostly about appearance (the cookie will spread more and not stay as thick), but will affect your cooking time as well so watch them closely when baking!

Ingredients
  • 3 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 C (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature *if you use unsalted butter, then increase your salt to 1 teaspoon
  • 1 C light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips


Instructions

1. Combine flour, baking soda, salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined. Scrape the paddle and sides of bowl as necessary.
3. Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture. Mix on low speed until the eggs are combined into the mixture, but do not over mix.
4. Pour in half of the flour mixture. Beat on low speed until just combined.
5. Add in the rest of the flour, and beat until just combined. Do not over-mix.
6. Remove bowl from stand mixer. Fold in chocolate chips. You do not want to beat the chocolate chips in the stand mixer because the chips will break apart.
7. Scoop dough with a 1/2  C measuring cup, then pull the dough ball apart to make 1/4 C size dough balls. Yes, you can use a 1/4 C scoop, but I like how the cookie turns out when it has the rough edge from being pulled apart. Do not round the dough into a ball. Slightly press in the sides of the dough to make the dough balls tall rather than round. This helps the cookie to stay thick.
8. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes. For the wedding, I made the dough beforehand and put it in the freezer for almost two weeks before baking and they turned out perfectly. I just let the dough defrost in the fridge for a day before baking, so they stayed chilled but not frozen.
9. Preheat convection oven 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 6 cookie dough balls on a sheet pan lined with a Silpat and bake for 12-14 minutes. With a convection oven, you shouldn't need to rotate the pan, but I still did because I was really babysitting these cookies. Normally I wouldn't, but this was for a wedding!
**in a non convection oven, preheat to 325 and bake for 16 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time.
10. Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. And of course, they are best enjoyed warm with a glass of milk! This recipe makes 18 large cookies.

Let me know if you loved this recipe!

**FYI: Kyle told me that I should not make this recipe public. He thinks it should be my little secret! So consider yourselves lucky! And if you make them, let people know where you got this recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment