Saturday, March 23, 2019

Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars


In elementary school, I used to ask my mom to give me a quarter that I could use to buy a peanut butter bar in the cafeteria at lunchtime. Maybe it was two quarters? They were individually wrapped in a little bag, and I LOVED them! And some things you just don't grow out of... I still love peanut butter bars so so much.

My mom made this incredible copycat lunch lady peanut butter bar recipe, and we'd have it pretty often. It's perfect for any gathering because it makes a ton and it's a crowd pleaser! I'm so excited to share this recipe because every time I make it, someone asks for the recipe!


Something I really like about this recipe compared to other peanut butter bars is that there isn't any peanut butter in the cookie base. It's only spread on top of the cookie, then chocolate on top of that, so I feel like the peanut butter isn't overpowering. 

Ingredients:

For the bars:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 2/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 3/4 cups oats
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
For the chocolate frosting:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Combine butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
  3. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined, then add in the oats.
  4. Push the dough out onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (No Silpat either) I usually just take off my rings and use my hands for this part. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. I most recently baked mine for 20-22 minutes
  5. Spread the peanut butter on the cookie while still warm (about 5-10 minutes after being removed from the oven).
  6. Once cooled, add the cube of butter, cocoa powder, and milk to a small saucepan and whisk together. Slowly bring to boil over medium heat. If you use too high of heat or boil it too fast, the cocoa can lump together and the butter can separate. Once it boils, remove from heat.
  7. Put the chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
  8. Using a hand mixer, gradually add in the powdered sugar (about 1 cup at a time). This frosting is not thick, and will seem a bit runny, but if you want it to be more firm, add more powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
  9. Spread frosting on top of the peanut butter. I like a nice thick layer of frosting, but still usually end up with about 1/4 cup of extra frosting. If you want your chocolate layer thinner, just use less of the frosting.
  10. Cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment