Thursday, March 21, 2019

LBJ's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have an addiction to chocolate chip cookies. And my family never wants me to make different desserts! Kyle only ever wants chocolate chip cookies, and Harper doesn't think a cookie is a cookie unless it has chocolate chips! Definitely my daughter!

...So I've been searching for the perfect recipe for a while. I used to always use the Nestle Tollhouse recipe that is on the back of the bag, but the cookies would turn out flat. So I've tried a lot of different recipes and learned a few tips and tricks to come up with my own. I might tweak it a bit someday in the future, but for now it's my go-to.


Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, plus extra for adding to dough balls 
Instructions: (Makes 3 dozen cookies)
  1. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix butter, sugars, and vanilla until just combined. Do not overmix.
  3. Add in eggs one at a time. Mix together until just combined.
  4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. When the dough comes together, stop mixing.
  5. Add chocolate chips. Stir in with spatula or wooden spoon. If you mix chocolate chips in the stand mixer, they can break apart, and your dough will likely get overmixed. 
  6. Using a cookie scooper, scoop dough onto cookie sheet. I use a scooper that is about the size of 2 tablespoons. You want to just lightly scoop it, don't pack the dough in. If you are just using your hands, try to do the same and not compress the dough. I scoop out all my dough onto a cookie sheet, then put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill. If your dough is already scooped when you put it in the fridge, then it doesn't have to chill as long! 
  7. After the dough balls are formed, I like to gently press in a few extra chocolate chips to make the cookies a little bit prettier. You can also add more chips right when the cookies are taken out of the oven to get the same effect.
  8. When your dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees and let the dough sit out while the oven preheats. Place 12 cookie dough balls onto a cookie sheet that has parchment paper or a Silpat. (Don't grease the cookie sheet-- a cookie butters its own bottom!)
  9. Cook for 12-15 minutes. My cookies were just right at 13 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. And of course, they're best served warm with a cold glass of milk! Enjoy :) 

Logan's Cookie Tips:

  • Semi-sweet chips. In my opinion, milk chocolate has no business in a cookie... There's a lot of trendy cookie shops going up lately and they all sell milk chocolate chip cookies. Obviously they are popular, and they sell a ton, but for me it's way too sweet. If you really really prefer milk chocolate, you can swap it out. But my version is semi-sweet. 
  • Butter only! And you want it to be just a bit firmer than room temperature.
  • Add cornstarch. Cornstarch helps your cookies stay chewy. Mmm!
  • Chill the dough. I know this is annoying when all you want is to eat a cookie! But it's worth it. It helps keep the dough from spreading too much and flattening out.
  • Don't overdo it! Two of the biggest mistakes of cookie making are overbaking and overmixing. You want to take the cookies out of the oven when the edges are barely darker than the middle. They may seem underdone, but just trust me! And each time you mix the batter, you want to stop when the ingredients are just combined so that the cookie will stay chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment